John and Shane talk through the challenges in reasoning through the pro-choice stance in the face of Texas’ new heartbeat bill. John also answers a question on a recent commentary dealing with Millennials. The listeners asks how to communicate the goodness of the Gospel to those who might have a taste for it.
To close, John and Shane go point-by-point through a series of statements a Christian school administrator is fielding in Australia. The listener’s school is considering how to process sexual orientation and gender identity at their non-denominational school. The listener notes that many teachers haven’t been able to process all of the points before the conversation rose. John and Shane provide resources and a step-by-step response to the points listed below:
- The Bible’s authors only wrote to their particular context and knew nothing of what us contemporaries now understand about human sexuality,
- The word ‘homosexuality’ is a recent, Victorian-era invention inserted into scripture to condemn all same-sex sexual activity when that was not the original intent,
- The word/s used in scripture to denote homosexuality actually only condemn exploitative sexual practices, not same-sex sexuality between consenting adults,
- The story of Sodom and Gomorrah denotes God’s judgment on the people of those cities due to their lack of hospitality rather than the practice of homosexuality, and
- Jesus said very little about sexuality anyway.
Same-Sex Marriage: A Thoughtful Approach to God’s Design for Marriage
Sean McDowell & John Stonestreet | Baker Books | 2014
The Moral Vision of the New Testament: Community, Cross, New Creation, A Contemporary Introduction to New Testament Ethics
Richard Hayes | Harper | August, 1996
Holy Sexuality and the Gospel: Sex, Desire, and Relationships Shaped by God’s Grand Story
Christopher Yuan | Multnomah | 2018
The Bible and Homosexual Practice: Texts and Hermeneutics
Robert Gagnon | Abingdon Press | 2002
Have a Follow-up Question?
ListenAll Audio Breakpoint: Podcast Breakpoint This Week: John Stonestreet The Point: 60 Seconds Find BP on the Radio
© Copyright 2020, All Rights Reserved.